Addiction Counseling in Grand Rapids
An addiction is when someone is unable to stop engaging in a behavior that has a negative impact on their life. Addictions can impact an individual’s occupational, social, and personal life as well as their mental and physical health. Having an addiction also can not only impact the individual but loved ones and those who surround the individual. Overcoming addiction is extremely hard especially if an individual is trying to do this without a support system. Having a support system can be crucial for people overcoming addiction and Addiction Counseling is a very powerful type of support that can have a positive impact.
Types of Addictions
When most people think of addictions they think of either an alcohol or a substance addiction. There are several substances such as sedatives, stimulants, hypnotics, opioids, anxiolytics, tobacco, and inhalants. Individuals may have addictions to sex, pornography, video games, gambling, food, shopping, working, exercising, using the internet, and many others. Addictions are not limited to only those listed above, addiction can be anything that an individual feels that they are unable to control or stop and is now having a negative impact on their life.
Symptoms & Counseling for Addiction
There are numerous symptoms that can be seen for individuals who are living with addiction. Individuals may become aware of these symptoms as well as friends, family members, or other individuals. Below are some symptoms that may be warning signs of having an addiction.
- Action is performed more often or for a longer amount of time than needed or intended.
- The individual has an unwanted desire or has been unable to cut down on the action.
- A lot of time is spent preparing, performing, or recovering from the negative effects of the action.
- Engaging in the action results in the individual failing to fulfill their standard obligations (ex: school, work, home).
- Individual quits doing things they enjoy because of their participation in the given action.
- The action is performed despite knowing the recurrent and persistent problems that have occurred because of it.
- There is a strong urge, desire, or drive to perform action.
- Engages in this particular activity when they are feeling distressed.
- Relies on others to be able to engage in this activity.
- Often lies about engaging in the action to family, friends, or co-workers.
- Individual plans their day around the action they participate in.
- The individual regrets things they did while engaging in the action or actions.
Some of the hardest steps in overcoming an addiction is accepting that you have an addiction in the first place, that it is hurting you, and hurting those around you, and that you need to seek Addiction Counseling. The earlier individuals seek Addiction Counseling the better because oftentimes addictions become more intense as time goes on, making it harder for individuals to overcome them. Often individuals do not seek Addiction Counseling because they either do not realize they have an addiction or are in denial that they need help. Sollars & Associates has Addiction Counselors in Grand Rapids that offer individual therapy to people who are needing to overcome their addiction and make positive changes in their life.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction and in need of addiction therapy in Grand Rapids or the surrounding area, please give Sollars & Associates a call today!
Addiction Counselors in Grand Rapids
We have addiction specialists ready to help you in Grand Rapids…