What is an Addiction?
An addiction is when an individual is unable to stop engaging in a behavior that as a result has a negative impact on their life. Addictions can impact an individual’s social, occupational, and personal life as well as their physical and mental health. Having an addiction can also not only impact the individual but also loved ones and those around the individual. Overcoming an addiction is extremely hard especially if an individual is trying to do this alone. Having a support system can be crucial for individuals overcoming addiction and Addiction Counseling is a type of support that can have a very powerful impact.
Types of Addictions
When most people think of addictions they think of either an alcohol addiction or a substance addiction. There are several substances such as stimulants, sedatives, hypnotics, anxiolytics, opioids, inhalants, and tobacco. Individuals may have addictions to food, sex, pornography, video games, gambling, shopping, exercising, working, using the internet, and many others. Addictions are not limited to only those listed above, rather an addiction can be anything that an individual feels that they are unable to stop or control and as a result is having a negative impact on their life.
Symptoms and Treatment for Addictions
There are many symptoms that can be seen for individuals who are living with an addiction. Individuals may become aware of these symptoms as well as family members, friends, or other individuals. Below are some symptoms that may be signs of having an addiction. For clarification that word action represents alcohol consumption, substance consumption, or any other addictive behavior or act.
-Action is performed more often or for a longer amount of time than intended.
-The individual has a desire or has been unable to cut down on the action.
-A large amount of time is spent preparing, performing, or recovering from the negative effects of the action.
-Engaging in action results in the individual failing to fulfill obligations (ex: work, school, home).
-Individual quits doing things they enjoy because of their engagement in the given action.
-The action is performed despite knowing the persistent and recurrent problems that have occurred because of it.
-There is a strong urge or desire to perform action.
-Engages in activity when feeling distressed.
-Relies on others to be able to engage in activity.
-Often lies about engaging in the action.
-Individual plans their day around the action.
-Individual regrets things they did while engaging in the action.
Some of the hardest steps in overcoming an addiction is realizing that you have an addiction in the first place, that it is hurting you and those around you and that you need to seek Addiction Counseling. The earlier individuals seek Addiction Counseling the better, this is because often times addictions become more intense and invasive as times goes on, making it harder for individuals to overcome them. Often individuals do not seek Addiction Counseling because they either do not realize they have an addiction or are in denial. Therapists, Counselors, Psychotherapists, and Psychologists at each of our locations offer individual therapy to individuals who are ready to overcome their addiction and make a positive change in their life. Along with individual therapy, relationships counseling or supportive group counseling may also be beneficial.
Addiction Counselors Near You
We have addiction specialist ready to help you through out the state of Michigan. Click on the office location nearest to you for more information:
Find These Services At:
- Ann Arbor, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Auburn Hills, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Birmingham, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Chesterfield, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Commerce, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Dearborn, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Dearborn Heights, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- East Lansing, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Eastpointe, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Ferndale, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Flint, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Gaylord, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Grand Rapids, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Holland, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Livonia, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Novi, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- 2 Plymouth, MI Offices Addiction Counselors
- Rochester Hills, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Royal Oak-Troy, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Southfield, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Sterling Heights, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Troy, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- West Bloomfield, MI Office Addiction Counselors
- Saginaw, MI Office Addiction Counselors